Energy Storage Long-term Markets Participation
On Feb. 17, 2021 we posted a Letter of Notice here regarding the Energy Storage Long-term Markets Participation Recommendation Paper. This Letter of Notice instructed stakeholders that the AESO was formally initiating a stakeholder engagement process regarding the proposed Energy Storage ISO Rule Amendments pursuant to Section 4 of the Alberta Utilities Commission Rule 017. To learn more about this ongoing rule engagement process including how you can provide your feedback for this ongoing initiative no later than Mar. 17, 2021 please click here.
Introduction and purpose
This initiative is part of the long-term implementation of the energy storage integrated plan as detailed in the Energy Storage Roadmap.
The purpose of this initiative is to enable energy storage assets to fairly access markets for which they meet the technical requirements through the development or revisions to AESO authoritative documents (ADs) and information documents. ISO rules for participation in the energy and ancillary services markets will: provide clarity for energy storage assets given their unique operating characteristics; support the safe, reliable and economic operation of the Alberta Interconnected Electric System; and, ensure the FEOC operation of the markets. This initiative builds upon the work completed for short-term implementation of energy storage integration which provides energy storage projects with clarity for participation in the markets under the existing ISO rules.
Working with stakeholders, the AESO will outline and evaluate the options for energy storage participation in the energy and ancillary service markets. and if recommended, ADs will be reviewed and updated to foster investor understanding of market expectations to aid them when making future decisions.
<br>Oct. 1, 2020
- Release Energy Storage long-term markets participation Options Paper
Session 1: <br>Oct. 14, 2020
- Overview of short-term implementation
- Outline of issues and options analysis for long-term energy storage market participation
- Seek input from stakeholders on issues and options
- Provide an opportunity for stakeholder to ask clarification questions prior to the submission of their written stakeholder comments on the Options paper
<br>Oct. 30, 2020
- Stakeholder written comments due on Options Paper (follow up to the Oct 14, 2020 session)
- AESO consider written feedback
- Host further engagements as necessary
- Develop draft recommendation
- Release long term energy storage market participation draft recommendation
- Stakeholder session on Long term energy storage market participation draft recommendation
- Stakeholders have the opportunity to ask clarifying questions on the draft recommendation prior to submitting written comments
- Stakeholders to provide written comments
- AESO to consider stakeholder feedback to finalize recommendations
- Initiate development of draft rules (if recommended) in coordination with the Energy Storage Roadmap
Feb. 24, 2021 Stakeholder engagement session
The AESO is extending an invitation to stakeholders who have an interest in participating in our ongoing Energy Storage initiative to attend our virtual stakeholder engagement session on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Share progress updates on the Energy Storage Roadmap and other interrelated activities.
- Review the draft recommendations presented in the Energy Storage Long-term Market Participation Recommendation Paper.
Supporting Materials will be available to stakeholders on Feb. 17:
- The Energy Storage Long-term Market Participation Recommendation Paper will be available to stakeholders on Feb. 17, one week prior to the session. Stakeholders are asked to review the paper prior to the session and be prepared with clarifying questions.
- A detailed agenda and a copy of the presentation will also be made available prior to the event.
- Stakeholders are also asked to complete the Energy Storage Long-Term Market Participation Recommendation Paper Comment Matrix prior to March 17, 2021.
Oct. 14, 2020 Stakeholder engagement session
Please click here to register for the session.
Introduction and purpose
The purpose of the session is to:
- Share progress updates on the activities related to the Energy Storage Roadmap and DER Roadmaps.
- Review of issues and options presented in the Energy Storage long-term markets participation discussion paper and provide an opportunity for stakeholders to ask clarifying questions prior to submitting their written stakeholder comments.
- Seek input from stakeholders on issues identified for Energy Storage long-term markets participation and options to resolve.
- Share information on DER market participation threshold and aggregation considerations.
- Seek input from stakeholders on issues identified for DER markets participation and exploration of options to resolve.
Meeting materials, including a detailed agenda, will be made available to stakeholders prior to the event. Stakeholders are asked to review the Discussion paper before the session.
Stakeholder comments Long-term Energy Storage Market Participation Options Paper
We value stakeholder input and thank you for sharing your perspectives with us. All stakeholder submissions, in their original state with personal information redacted, are posted below.
- Long-term Energy Storage Market Participation Draft Recommendation [Posted: Feb. 17, 2021]
- Agenda: Feb. 24, Energy Storage Stakeholder Engagement Session [Posted: Feb. 17, 2021]
- Presentation: Feb. 24 Energy Storage Stakeholder Engagement Session [Posted: Feb. 17, 2021]
- Joint Stakeholder Engagement Session on Energy Storage and Distributed Energy Resources Webinar Recording [Posted: Oct. 16, 2020]
- Joint Stakeholder Engagement Session on Energy Storage and Distributed Energy Resources presentation [Posted: Oct. 8, 2020]
- Joint Stakeholder Engagement Session on Energy Storage and Distributed Energy Resources Agenda [Posted: Oct. 8, 2020]
- Energy Storage Long-term Market Participation Options Paper [Posted: Oct 1, 2020]
- Energy Storage Long-term Markets Participation discussion paper stakeholder comment matrix [Posted: Oct 1, 2020]