SS-37 Substation Upgrade (2102)
ENMAX Power Corporation (ENMAX) has applied to the AESO for transmission system access to reliably serve growing demand for electricity in the City of Calgary area. ENMAX’s request can be met by the following solution:
- Upgrade the existing SS-37 substation, including replacing the existing 13/25 kilovolt (kV) transformer with a 138/25 kV transformer, adding one 138 kV circuit breaker and eleven 25 kV circuit breakers.
- Add or modify associated equipment as required for the above transmission developments.
Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Approval
The AESO approved the SS-37 Substation Upgrade under Section 501.3 of the ISO rules, Abbreviated Needs Approval Process
- SS-37 Substation Upgrade ANAP Approval Letter [Posted: July 26, 2022]
Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Notice of Consideration
The AESO intends to consider the need for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade (Project) for approval under Section 501.3 of the ISO rules, Abbreviated Needs Approval Process, (ANAP Rule) on or after July 22, 2022. If stakeholders have any questions or concerns, please contact the AESO before this date.
The AESO has determined that the Project is eligible for consideration under the ANAP Rule because the following eligibility criteria have been met:
- Project costs are estimated to be approximately $17M and were classified as participant-related in accordance with the ISO tariff;
- the AESO has completed a participant involvement program (PIP) in accordance with the guidelines in Alberta Utilities Commission Rule 007;
- the Project is not anticipated to result in significant environmental effects; and
- No concerns or objections with the need for the Project have been raised. Prior to making its approval decision, the AESO will address additional stakeholder concerns that arise, if any.
Supporting information about this Project is available in the following documents:
- Engineering Connection Assessment
- TFO Cost Estimate
- AESO PIP Summary
- DFO Statement of Need
- TFO and DFO Responses to AESO Information Requests
- Update - Need for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade in the City of Calgary area [Posted: March 15, 2022]
- Need for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade in the City of Calgary area [Posted: Nov. 17, 2020]
- Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Notice of Approval for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade
- Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Notice of Consideration for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade
- Update - Need for the SS-37 Substation Upgrade in the City of Calgary area
- Need Overview: SS-37 Substation Upgrade