Introduction and purpose
The Energy Storage Roadmap (ES Roadmap) sets out the AESO’s plan to facilitate the reliable integration of energy storage technologies into AESO authoritative documents and the AESO grid and market systems. This will improve the clarity required for market qualification and participation, and enable efficient, effective connection, monitoring and control of energy storage facilities when connected.
The AESO published its ES Roadmap in August 2019 and its purpose is to:
- Facilitate the integration of energy storage technologies across the Alberta Interconnected Electric System (AIES)
- Enable energy storage to participate in a reliable and fair, efficient, and openly competitive (FEOC) manner
- Ensure consistency in principles and approach to energy storage across the AESO
ES Roadmap integration activities
The AESO is providing stakeholders an overview of the ES Roadmap integration-related activities that they intend to progress in 2021. The intent is to provide stakeholders with a consolidated view of the proposed activities for their information and planning purposes. This schedule focuses solely on ES Roadmap integration-related activities.
Integration activities currently underway include:
12-month rolling timeline
Information Session | Aug. 7, 2019
The AESO hosted an information session on Aug. 7, 2019 from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m.
The purpose of the session is to present the Energy Storage Roadmap that sets out a plan to facilitate integration of energy storage in Alberta. We will also provide an update on the Flexibility Roadmap that provides a sustainable process to assess flexibility needs and progresses mechanisms to ensure sufficient system flexibility.
Information session materials
ES Roadmap materials
- Schedule | Integration Activities 12-Month Rolling Timeline [Posted: Sept. 23, 2021]
- Comments Summary| Response Letter [Posted: June 19, 2020]
- ES Roadmap [Posted: Aug. 7, 2019]
- Report| Dispatchable Renewables & ES [Posted: Sept. 25, 2018]