Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project (7083)
Recent studies have shown the existing transmission system in the Medicine Hat area needs to be modified to reliably connect new generation in the area. The AESO is optimizing the existing system by proposing modifications to the existing Bowmanton 244S substation, which include the addition of three capacitor banks and three 240 kilovolt (kV) circuit breakers.
Please see the documents below for more information on the need for this development.
AltaLink Management Ltd (AltaLink) is the transmission facilities owner (TFO) in the area. While the AESO is responsible for identifying that transmission system modifications are needed, AltaLink is responsible for the modification and identifying locations for construction purposes. Please visit AltaLink’s website at www.altalink.ca for further information.
- Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project Newsletter [Posted: Oct. 12, 2022]
Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Notice of Consideration
The AESO intends to consider the need for the Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project (Project) for approval under Section 501.3 of the ISO rules, Abbreviated Needs Approval Process, (ANAP Rule) on or after April 6, 2023. If stakeholders have any questions or concerns, please contact the AESO before this date.
The AESO has determined that the Project is eligible for consideration under the ANAP Rule because the following eligibility criteria have been met:
- Project costs are estimated to be less than $15M;
- the AESO has completed a participant involvement program (PIP) in accordance with the guidelines in Alberta Utilities Commission Rule 007;
- the Project is not anticipated to result in significant environmental effects; and
- Stakeholder concerns or objections with the need for the Project have been addressed. Prior to making its approval decision, the AESO will address additional stakeholder concerns that arise, if any.
Supporting information about this Project is available in the following documents:
- Notice of ANAP Consideration [Posted Mar. 22, 2023]
- Planning Report [Posted Mar. 22, 2023]
- Cost Estimates [Posted Mar. 22, 2023]
- AESO PIP Summary [Posted Mar. 22, 2023]
The AESO has received strong interest from generation developers in the Southeast region and, as a result, has identified that there is potential for congestion in the planning areas of Medicine Hat (Area 4) and Brooks (Area 47). As such, a meeting was held on Wednesday, Feb. 8th with potentially impacted market participants in the areas noted. The presentation and follow-up materials are linked below.
- Cassils – Bowmanton – Whitla (CBW) Path Congestion Presentation [Posted: Feb. 9, 2023]
- Update letter regarding the Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project [Posted Mar. 22, 2023]
Please contact us directly with questions or comments at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-866-2959.
- Abbreviated Needs Approval Process: Notice of Consideration for the Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project
- Cassils – Bowmanton – Whitla (CBW) Path Congestion Presentation
- Bowmanton 244S Substation Voltage Support Project