Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development (7001)
In August 2021, the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) approved the AESO's Central East Transfer-out (CETO) Transmission Development Needs Identification Document (NID) Application.
The CETO transmission development includes two 240-kilovolt (kV) circuits between the Tinchebray 972S and Gaetz 87S substations. Construction will be staged using milestones to balance future transmission costs with confidence in the timing of the need for the transmission development.
A trigger of 0.5 per cent congestion has been established to proceed with Stage 1 construction.
November 2022 | CETO Reaffirmation Study
In November 2022, as part of the construction milestone monitoring process for the Central East Transfer-out (CETO) Transmission Development, the AESO conducted a study to reaffirm if congestion is forecast to occur greater than 0.5% of the time as incremental generation meets the AESO’s project inclusion criteria.
The reaffirmation study indicated that the CETO Stage 1 construction milestone has been met based on the generation information available at the end of August 2022.
The AESO currently intends to provide a direction to the TFOs on December 1, 2022 to start CETO Stage 1 construction.
- CETO Reaffirmation Study Results | November 2022 [Posted: Nov. 10, 2022]
April 2022 | CETO Reaffirmation Study
The reaffirmation study performed by the AESO in April 2022 indicated that the Stage 1 construction trigger of 0.5 per cent has not been met, based on the generation information available at the end of January 2022.
Another reaffirmation study will be performed in six months to confirm if CETO construction should proceed.
- CETO Reaffirmation Study Results | April 2022 [Posted: May 3, 2022]
- PPT | CETO Reaffirmation Study Final Assumptions [Posted: March 10, 2022]
- Webinar | CETO Reaffirmation Study Assumptions Stakeholder Session (Update: Feb. 23, 2022)
- Agenda | CETO Reaffirmation Study Assumptions Stakeholder Session (Update: Feb. 22, 2022)
- Presentation | CETO Reaffirmation Congestion Assessment (Updated: Feb. 22, 2022)
Needs Identification Document
For more information related to the AESO’s CETO NID, please see the following Materials. The full NID Application is also provided below.
- Technical session webinar recording [Posted: December 9, 2020]
- Technical session PPT presentation [Posted: December 9, 2020]
- Confirmation of AESO Regulatory Filing [Posted: August 12, 2020]
- Notification of AESO Regulatory Filing [Posted: March 2, 2020]
- 2019 Transmission Projects information session [Posted: October 4, 2019]
- 2019 Transmission Projects webinar recording [Posted: October 4, 2019]
- Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development – Project Need (Newsletter) [Posted: January 9, 2019]
- Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development Needs Identification Document [Posted: August 12, 2020]
Need Identification Document Application
- Appendix A – AESO Planning Report
- Attachment A
- Attachment B
- Attachment C
- Attachment D
- Attachment E
- Attachment F
- Attachment G
- Attachment H
- Appendix B – AESO Load and Generation Forecast
- Appendix C – AESO Congestion Assessment
- Appendix D – TFO Environmental and Land Use Effects
- Appendix E – AESO Cost Estimates
- Appendix F – AESO Participant Involvement Program (PIP)
- Appendix G – AESO Transmission Planning Criteria – Basis and Assumptions
- Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development (CETO) - Reaffirmation Study Results
- AESO NID Approved: Central East Transfer-out Development
- AESO NID Filed: Central East Transfer-out Development
- Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development